Monday, April 13, 2009

Thoughts on Darwin

Originally, I was going to name this "First Thoughts on Darwin" or something like that. But that was because I wanted to make this post about a week ago...back when I had my first thoughts on Darwin. Not really accurate to have that now...

Anyway, this definitely seems like an interesting project. It seems like the most difficult project we've had, but also potentially the most rewarding. I might change my mind in a couple of days, but I think I will really enjoy this project, particularly the Object-Oriented nature of it.

I'd like to get started tonight if possible (might have to wait until tomorrow). Usually, I just start coding a solution right away, but I think I might actually do some design work beforehand (of course, I do a little design work for other projects too, but usually just in my head). This is definitely a project where good design will pay off (and bad design will really hurt). I want to make sure I make some good decisions when I'm deciding what classes to make, what they will do, how they interact, etc.

Fortunately, I already found out about a few suggestions (e.g., use a separate container for creatures instead of trying to place them directly onto the grid). I probably would have done something different...and likely more difficult.

If things go smoothly, I'd like to make at least one more post about Darwin, preferably when I am done. As I said, it seems like an interesting project, and I'd like to compare my thoughts before and after. Besides Allocator, this is the only project I've never worked on in a previous class (at least in some form).

No comments:

Post a Comment